Thursday, 29 September 2016

The $39.00 Bookshelf


I was in need of some extra shelf space to put some food and pots & pans on. A friend introduced me to an internet sight called "Trade Me".  It is like an internet garage sale. I saw some 2nd hand bookselves that would solve my problem; so I placed a bid. For 3 days I would check on it, at the end of the day, and it seemed like there was very little interest. My hopes were high until the last 30 minutes before the bidding would end. These shelves were just what I needed to solve all my temporal problems at this time. I really wanted them. How could I not get them? I was tired of tripping over stuff on our floor because I had no place to store things, The last 30 minutes of the bidding process, the shelves went from $10.00 to $39.00. I finally won the bid!! Elder and Sister Jackson got a trailer from the Church Office Building and we went across the Bay bridge to pick it up from the downtown side of Auckland. When we returned home we reassembled it and placed it in our bedroom. I share this story because as I filled it up with the simple things of life, and de-cluttered my flat, I realized that it is the simple things of life--the straight forward, plain things of my life, that bring me the greatest joy. And that  is the real reason we left our beautiful home in Salt Lake City to teach the simple truths of the gospel of Jesus Christ in hopes of sharing with others the real thing that makes us happy. I love this gospel. It brings me joy, peace,and happiness.  And I pray I can share that with others. What a wonderful lesson my $39.00 bookcase taught me.

No comments:

Post a Comment